We boast of a long and distinguished history of providing legal services to international and local non-profit organisations in Uganda through our specialized non-governmental organisations (NGO) practice group.
In the non-profit sector, we advise leading international and local non-governmental organisations on an expansive range of regulatory compliance, employment and pensions, corporate immigration, intellectual property, corporate and tax matters. We leverage the experience and expertise of all our separate practice areas to serve our non-profit organisation clients, and we are especially strong in key areas of concern for non-profit entities such as corporate registration, NGO permit processing, regulatory compliance, employment and employee benefits advisory, corporate immigration, tax, commercial contracts, real estate and dispute resolution.
We also assist non-profit organizations to address delicate regulatory compliance obligations imposed by the National Bureau of Non-Governmental Organisations, the Uganda Registration Services Bureau, the Uganda Revenue Authority and the National Social Security Fund.
As part of our practice in this area, we offer the following services:
- Incorporation of local and foreign non-governmental organizations with the National Bureau of Non-Governmental Organisations;
- Procuring permits to operate as a non-governmental organization for both local and foreign non-governmental organizations from the National Bureau of Non-Governmental Organisations;
- Incorporation of non-profit entities as companies limited by guarantee under the Companies Act 2012;
- Renewal of permits to operate as a non-governmental organization in Uganda for both local and foreign non-governmental organizations;
- Procuring tax-exempt status for non-governmental organizations;
- Completing statutory filings on behalf of non-profit entities with either the National Bureau of Non-Governmental Organisations or the registrar of companies;
- Providing legal advisory on aspects of employment and pensions, corporate governance, contract drafting and management, corporate immigration, non-governmental organizations’ taxation, intellectual property and real estate;
- Performing legal and tax audits and health checks, and prescribing remedial strategies; and
- Acting for non-governmental organizations in contentious and non-contentious dispute resolution matters.