We provide tax advisory services in connection with income tax, value added tax, customs, tax planning and compliance, tax due diligence and international taxation. We also act for clients in tax disputes, and are currently representing large multinational organisations in high-value tax cases before the Tax Appeals Tribunal and the Commercial Court.
Our tax team combines experience in the energy, financial, manufacturing, mining, transport and telecommmunications sectors. Particular fields of expertise include cross-border contracts, companies, mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, domestic borrowing, real estate, project finance, oil and gas, provident and pension funds and off-shore investments.
Recent notable work highlights:
- Acting for TOTAL E&P, Tullow Operations and CNOOC Uganda in a complex, multi-million dollar tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Acting for the Kenya-Uganda railway concessionaire in a withholding tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Acting for the taxpayer in a US$ 3 million start-up costs dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Acted for a leading downstream petroleum company in a novel tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority which examines the tax deductibility of premium and rent payable.
- Acted for a leading downstream petroleum company in a value added tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority, and secured a favourable settlement for the taxpayer.
- Successfully represented Britannia Allied Industries in a tax refund claim arising out of import commission under the East African Community Customs Management Act and the Finance Act 2003.
- Successfully represented a local financial institution in proceedings against the Uganda Revenue Authority that sought to determine the tax treatment of the application of retained earnings to issue bonus shares.
- Successfully represented the country’s association of commercial banks in a high-value dispute over the imposition of stamp duty in the Commercial Court.
- Acted as tax advisor to a global insurance company on a shareholder re-organisation, including procuring a stamp duty exemption adjudication.