We provide tax advisory services in connection with income tax, value added tax, customs, tax planning and compliance, tax due diligence and international taxation. We also act for clients in tax disputes, and are currently representing large multinational organisations in high-value tax cases before the Tax Appeals Tribunal and the Commercial Court.
Our tax team combines experience in the energy, financial, manufacturing, mining, transport and telecommunications sectors. Particular fields of expertise include cross-border contracts, companies, mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, domestic borrowing, real estate, project finance, oil and gas, provident and pension funds and off-shore investments.
Recent notable work highlights:
- Acting for Total Exploration & Production, Tullow Operations and CNOOC Uganda in a complex, multi-million dollar tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Acting for TOTAL E&P, Tullow Operations and China National Offshore Oil Corporation in a complex, multi-million-dollar tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Acting for Rift Valley Railways, the Kenya-Uganda railway concessionaire, in a multi-million-dollar tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Acting for Vivo Energy Uganda in an income tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority relating to the tax treatment of advance rent and premium on lease properties.
- Successfully represented Britannia Allied Industries in a tax refund claim arising our import commission under the East African Community Customs Management Act 2004.
- Successfully represented a local financial institution in proceedings against the Uganda Revenue Authority that sought to determine the tax treatment of the application of retained earnings to issue bonus shares.
- Successfully represented the country’s association of commercial banks in a high-value dispute over the imposition of stamp duty in the Commercial Court.
- Acting for the taxpayer in a US$ 3 million start-up costs dispute before the Commercial Court.
- Acted as tax advisor to AIG Insurance, a global insurance company, on a shareholder re-organisation, including procuring a special-case stamp duty exemption