Our real estate and conveyancing department specializes in all forms of conveyancing mandates. We advise on the acquisition and disposal of commercial and residential real estate, leases and lease-backs, property finance, property litigation, structuring beneficial holdings, the permit and consent process related to the use of land in specific areas and tax planning for real estate acquisitions and disposals. We act for local and foreign investors, multinational organisations, institutional investors, financial institutions and specialist developers.
For project-based work, we support clients to negotiate and document legal and financing structures for the development and operation of real estate projects, and we have acted for local and financial institutions for an extensive range of commercial real estate facilities to local developers
Recent notable work highlights include:
- Acted for a tobacco group on the US$ 13 million sale of its former headquarters and green leaf threshing plant.
- Acting as legal advisor to the principals for the acquisition, development and title regularization for the US$ 10 million Lake Victoria Serena Hotel Phase II project.
- Advised a tobacco group for the strategic disposal of three warehouses.
- Acted for the seller for a US$ 8 million cross-border property disposal in Kenya and Uganda.
- Advised the principals on the purchase and letting of condominium units and residential houses in a US$ 10 million property development project.
- In property finance, acted as legal counsel to the international lenders (including the International Finance Corporation, PTA Bank and the East African Development Bank) and domestic lenders (including Stanbic Bank and Standard Chartered Bank) for a combined US$ 62 million in loan facilities to property developers.