We are the first full service law firm in the country to set up a fully specialized and functional employment law practice. We have an experienced team of professionals working exclusively on employment and benefits matters and our employment practice is retained by a number of multi-national organisations, local corporate entities and international non-profit organisations. We advise on all contentious and non-contentious aspects of employment law and have been instrumental in guiding clients through the difficult transition from the employment-at-will to the termination-for-just-reasons legal regime imposed by the Employment Act 2006.
We provide advice on formulation, review and update of human resource policy manuals to ensure compliance with current labour laws and best practices We also conduct annual training sessions to ensure effective compliance; support and advise on routine employment issues such as terms of engagement, disciplinary matters and grievance handling; undertake engagements with relevant stakeholders and provide advice on labour relations and occupational health and safety.
We also possess market-leading expertise in sensitive, specialised employment matters such as transfers of undertaking, corporate restructurings and redundancies, collective terminations and labour law compliance audits.
Our market-leading pensions practice handles the full spectrum of pension matters. We advise on benefit set-up, drafting of trust deeds and rules, registration of schemes, commercial matters and the restructuring, migration and liquidation of pension funds.
Recent notable work highlights include:
- Acted as employment advisor to dfcu Bank for its acquisition of the employment portfolio of Crane Bank (as part of the overall purchase of the assets and liabilities of Crane Bank). Aspects advised on include transfer of undertaking, collective termination (and accompanying regulatory reporting obligations), work authorisation implications and the integration of retained employees into existing contractual frameworks.
- Advised the Uganda National Roads Authority on a major restructuring that involved the collective termination of most of its employees and conducting a comprehensive labour law audit and review of all organizational manuals, policies and procedures relating to human resources management at the authority.
- Advised a leading telecommunications operator on an innovative voluntary departure program that resulted into the exit of several employees.
- Advised two international oil and gas operators on a significant corporate restructuring exercise that entailed the migration of its operations from exploration and appraisal to development and production and resulted into the laying off of affected employees.
- Acted for Uganda’s leading downstream petroleum company in conducting a full-scale labour law compliance audit.
- Advising a regional development bank on the establishment of an internal quasi-judicial mechanism to address staff grievances in light of its diplomatic immunity status under its formative treaty.
- Advising a publicly-traded entity on the migration of its provident fund scheme from an in-house scheme to an umbrella fund.
- Advising a publicly-traded entity on the establishment of a US$ 4 million retirement benefits scheme, including attending to the procurement of the fund manager, fund administrator, custodian, auditors and tax consultants.
- Advised a publicly-traded entity on the structuring and implementation of a US$ 5 million employee share scheme as part of a secondary share offer.
- Advising a leading insurance-sector multinational entity on the liquidation of its provident fund.
- Advised a leading downstream petroleum company on the dissolution of a defined benefits pension fund and the set-up of a defined contributions provident fund.
- Advised a leading microfinance institution, on the restructuring of its retirement benefits scheme.