Our oil and gas and mining practice boasts of significant market traction. We are retained by leading multinational oil & gas operators, oilfield services providers and mining companies, provide specialist advice on a range of Ugandan law matters: oil & gas local content impositions, regulatory compliance, corporate affairs, commercial contracts, employment, real estate, tax, environment and safety, due diligence inquiries and dispute resolution.
In oil and gas, we possess expertise in the upstream, midstream and downstream energy value chain, licensing, commercial contracting, acquisition and disposal of oil and gas interests, oil and gas financing and other Uganda-specific legal and compliance aspects such as local content requirements. We also assist oilfield services providers with significant local law matters.
We are retained as legal counsel by Total E&P (Uganda) and Tullow Operations, two of the three oil operators licensed to conduct oil exploration and production activities in Uganda. In a major brief, we acted as local counsel to three oil & gas operators for the conduct of a high-level feasibility study for the construction of an oil pipeline from the oilfield region in the Albertine Graben to the East African coast.
In mining, we possess considerable experience in the mining sector, and we are presently advising some of the key principals in the industry. We are retained by government agencies, international financiers, multinational companies and private investors to provide specialist mining advice, in addition to a range of related matters that involve finance, audits and due diligence, environment, tax, employment, real estate and compliance and risk. We are retained as legal counsel by the cement-manufacturing subsidiary of LafargeHolcim and act for several private entities in the sector.
Recent notable work highlights include:
Oil & Gas
- Advised three international oil & gas operators on the performance of a detail legal feasibility study for the proposed construction of an export pipeline, the very first of its kind in Uganda, from the Albertine Graben to the East African coast.
- Advised an oil & gas operators on specific corporate and regulatory aspects in relation to a disposal of interests to a fellow operator.
- Advised a leading oilfield services entity on local content impositions under Ugandan law, including advising on an appropriate corporate structure to comply with local content requirements.
- Advised a leading oilfield services entity an employee restructuring following an exercise to rationalize its operations in the Middle East and Africa.
- Advised two oilfield services companies on local law reporting and restructuring requirements following a global-wide merger.
- Advised the Government of Uganda, represented by the Privatisation and Utility Sector Reform Unit of the Ministry of Finance, Planning & Economic Development, for the concession of assets over Kilembe Mines, Uganda’s sole copper smelting plant, to a private partner. We also provided post-divestiture support to Kilembe Mines Limited, and advised on the related hydro-power projects of Mobuku I and III
- Acting for a Uganda’s leading cement manufacturer for the establishment of a cement plant in North Eastern Uganda, including advising on sponsors’ joint venture arrangements, real estate, financing and commercial contracting matters.
- Acted for a private mining entity in its acquisition of two exploration companies in Uganda.
- Acted for a private mining entity on the acquisition of a gold mine and related infrastructure in Uganda.
- Acted as legal advisor for a US$ 16 million assets-transfer and corporate start-up transaction among five companies in the gold mining sector.