We possess market-leading deal specialism in corporate mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and private equity. In addition to technical expertise, clients rely on our sector knowledge and commercial advice.
Our M&A and private equity practice is complemented by company law, corporate finance, capital markets, tax, real estate, employment and pensions, corporate and regulatory teams. We also possess extensive experience in performing legal due diligence across several regulatory and transactional bases, and have been retained to perform extensive legal inquiries in high-level mandates.
Recent notable work highlights include:
- Acted for dfcu Bank Limited, as transaction advisor and project manager, in its purchase of the assets and assumption of liabilities of Crane Bank Limited following the placement of Crane Bank into statutory management and receivership by Bank of Uganda. This transaction was the largest banking sector acquisition in Uganda.
- Acted for Rabo Development B.V, an investment subsidiary of the Dutch banking luminary Rabobank, in its acquisition of a 27.5% equity stake in dfcu Limited, a company listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange, and for NORFUND in its further acquisition of an additional 17.4% equity stake in dfcu Limited; the resultant share transfer being the largest ever equity block trade in the history of the Uganda Securities Exchange.
- Acted for British American Tobacco for a US$ 20 million business restructuring exercise involving the decommissioning and sale of the company’s green leaf processing plant, and cessation of its tobacco leaf business, transfer of leaf processing operations to British American Tobacco Kenya and transfer of leaf processing assets to a global agronomy services provider.
- Advised the Uganda Securities Exchange on its demutualization [conversion from a member-owned exchange to a self-regulating for-profit entity], including advising on the legal and tax aspects of a transfer of undertaking.
- Acted for the acquirer for its US$ 64 million acquisition of a majority stake in a local financial institution.
- Acted for a global energy company in its acquisition of the business and assets of a leading downstream petroleum company in Uganda.
- Acted for East Africa’s leading venture capital fund for a combined equity-debt investment in a local mobile money telephone banking entity.
- Acted for a leading telecommunications company on the sale of its passive infrastructure business to a specialist tower management company.
- Advising the investor on the disposal of its equity investment in the Ugandan subsidiaries of the region’s leading gourmet restaurant chain.
- Acted for South Africa’s leading tourism company in its acquisition of a 60% stake in a Uganda’s leading white-water rafting company.
- Acted for a leading continental insurer listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius in its acquisition of an indirect 62% stake in a local insurance company.
- Acted as local counsel to Africa’s largest private equity firm for its US$ 250 million investment in the Kenya-Uganda railway concessionaire.
- Acted for the investee, Uganda’s largest pharmaceutical chain, for a convertible debt investment.